Things are catching up with me.
My broad beans, which were so cute only a couple of weeks ago:
have now turned into thugs, desperate to go in. I’ve been trying to harden them off, but that’s been delayed by the cold snap. All I really need, apart from a change in the weather, is to know where I’m going to put them. I know theoretically, but will it work in reality?
I have to work out exactly what goes where in the veg patches, bearing in mind wind conditions (more shelter for the mangetout than last year) and crop rotation (spuds in the bottom garden, then). And I always, always, put this off.
And every single year I sit down with last year’s plan, work away for about an hour and then realise that plan and reality were actually rather different. I end up going through photos, especially since the Great Overflowing Spud Crisis of a couple of years ago when I ended up with rather more than I had planned for. Plus, some things are still in – the cavolo nero, the Russian kale, leeks – and some are still to come on stream, like the purple sprouting broccoli. It’s nearly there, though.
I’ve also still got a load of parsley flourishing which I’d assumed would die over the winter, and some cabbages. Mind you, they seem to have gone straight from seedlings to running to seed, so they can come out. Now.
So out come the pens and the Seed Tin of Doom, and I have to go through the seeds once again. Toms and celeriac are already sown; been in for about a fortnight, though with little sign of life yet. But there are loads, shedloads, of seeds to go.
What I’ve got for the main patch is this:
And this way I don’t need to rush to finish what’s in there, because the courgettes, squashes, turnips and beetroot won’t be going in for a while.
Using up the Russian kale would be a good idea though, as I may need that space for spud overflow, and soon:
They are romping away. I usually put them in on Good Friday, following tradition, but Easter is so late this year and they are almost ready. And so is the well-rotted (now very well-rotted) cow muck from H’s farm.
But the list of jobs is getting longer. Time to prioritise. First, reshaping the bed in the bottom garden, which will give me a little extra space by the beanpole tunnel where I can pop in the broad beans. Then – it cannot be delayed any longer – mucking out the greenhouse so I can plant in comfort. That, alas, means reconciling myself to the fact that most of my scented geraniums are dead, and that I need to find somewhere else to put the soil, logs, old pots, besom, half a ton of bamboo canes, piles of crocks and general garbage that just accumulates.
It’s not me.
It’s the fairies; they’re very active in these parts.
(Pity they just do piling stuff into the greenhouse, not sorting it out again.)